Thursday, April 2, 2009

100 drawings in a month part two

I successfully finished 100 drawings in one month - exactly. And at the very last hour. I finished the last one around 11:00 on the 31st. I will scan them and post them soon.

The original idea was to purge my mind some, so that I could see what all was rolling around in there. I have too many directions and I don't have time to do them all at once (damned work-a-day job doesn't help)

Did it work? Not really. Not as I had hoped. I suppose I had wised for some searing inspiration to overwhelm me with a fantastic series that would sustain through the next 5 years and never get old. Honestly I think I'm too ADD for that. And I LIKE having many different directions to go. I just need to spend enough time on at least one of them to put together a solid body of work... and all this self bullying is possibly only making the problem worse.

I bought some sumi-e brushes and have been playing with them using black watercolor. Interesting.

But the theme is still there. I feel very strongly that there is something just at the edge of my consciousness that needs to emerge... and I don't know what angle to pick at to get it out in the open. It's been there for some time, and I see it come out the corners of every piece of art I make. Some more than others. What is it? I don't know. It is like a piece of dreamtime, some part of understanding, some idea. It is plural not singular but probably comes together as a single whole concept. Possibly. I thought maybe this exercise would open that up, but it didn't.

So I have to be drastic. When I have a day on my own that I have nothing expected of me and no plans or chores that are terribly urgent I will do 100 drawings in a day. That will hopefully break this spell of overanalyzing and open up some new doors that will let the work flow and let me free.

We shall see... I love my abstracts the more I look at them, but I also want to paint the surreal images of women and garbage.... and the girl with the slug is a must do. Maybe there is a way to put it all together.... I'll post more pics later, but here is #100- which is different than any of the others but I like something about it, and maybe if I can put my finger on what it is that I like about it I can do something with it... it has the same thread as some of my other work, some energy that I can't quite see consciously but somehow is in all of my work. I hope to bring that out and see it clearly so I know how to do it. That is if it can be done consciously.

No comments:

Post a Comment